Monday, August 15, 2011

Journal: Running Water 5k

Running Water 5k logo

Journal: Running Water 5k
08/15/11

Over the weekend I participated in my first 5k road race in a good 7 years. Actually, it may have been longer, since my last race was a Thanksgiving Day 10k. Currently I jog as a hobby to keep in shape. Therefore, I wasn't entirely disappointed with my performance, but it was more about the charitable event than it was about my time.

The Running Water 5k was organized by Preston Goodie, a junior at New Philadelphia High School in Ohio, at the First United Methodist Church. The fundraising event raised a more-than-expected $10,000 for charity: water, a nonprofit organization bringing clean water to developing nations. If all goes according to plan, the money will build two water wells to serve communities of 250+ people.

Participants were given a t-shirt for registering early, water glasses were handed out to the top 3 finishers in each age group, and were treated to a community breakfast at the church for a small donation. Suprisingly, I received a glass for the old man category.

I was amazed at the care and dedication that went into this project by such a young member of the community. It is great to see an individual strive to make the world a better place for all. This was a true inspiration.

http://www.charitywater.org

No comments:

Post a Comment