Thursday, April 21, 2011

My Roots - Progression: Pringles/Torengos

My Roots
Progression: Pringles/Torengos 04/21/11

I should really just keep talking about birds and owls...

The article I presented last week about the sale of Pringles (Diamond Foods buying Pringles) reminded me of the time I spent interning at Deskey Branding. I remember spending some days preparing my first transitional pieces for the new Pringle's logo and witnessing some of my first brand style guides. It's interesting thinking back on how ignorant and immature of a young designer I was then and still can be. We truly never stop learning as artists.

During my time at Deskey, my coworkers really helped me get my act together through constructive criticism and field experience. I became a much better and smarter designer quicker.

At the time, Torengos Tortilla Chips were supposed to be the next big thing. They were like Pringles in the sense the tortialla chip came individually stacked in a pop-top can. I saw the argument for presenting such a product to the public (keeping the product fresh and intact), but I was also hesitant of its success in a highly saturated chip market (not trying to burn any bridges).

Back then, I wish I had a chance to see more of the case studies to give me more insight into the birth of the idea/implementation. Even though Torengos didn't pan out, they gave me an opportunity to see some of the behind-the-scenes work that went into a new product launch. I was given a chance to create some product and point-of-purchase renderings and ad slicks during my internship with the company. Now the images just give me nostalgia to my work roots.

Does anybody remember Torengos?

No comments:

Post a Comment