Tuesday, April 26, 2011

I Don't Understand What You Do???

I Don't Understand What You Do???

It's amazing how many times I've heard this phrase. It's usually said in a condescending way that implies "I know what you do, but I don't see how you make a living doing what you do." I've had numerous people say something like, "I've created business cards or brochures and I never went to school." Furthermore, I've heard people ask what do graphic designers even do/what is out there for them?

I tell the doubters that there is a structure behind what we do;  just like an engineering mechanic knows how a car is assembled and a chef knows the ingredients to a complicated dish. Not everyone understands the mechanics behind design, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. There are rules, structure, and understanding that are achieved through exposure, experience and education (self-learning/institutional.)

I tell them to look at everything they interact with throughout the day...

The packaging of the breakfast cereal they eat, the morning newspaper they read, the road signs they obey, the billboards they pass, the businesses they interact with,  the restaurants they visit, the websites they surf, the products they buy, the apps they download, etc., etc., etc.

There is no shortage of examples of a designer's role in this world. Take a look around and try to relate everything back to an idea, sketch, or design. It really is amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment